January 14, 2015

Hotel Centennial

Last Saturday night was one of my bestie's birthday and to celebrate we had dinner at Hotel Centennial in Woollarha which over looks Sydney's beautiful Centennial Parklands. Hotel Centennial is a public house and dinning room serving amazing modern Australian food delicately designed by Head Chef Justin North (ex Becasse). He may have lost his businesses but you seriously cannot fault him as a chef; he is amazing in the kitchen. 

Each time I walk into the dinning room, I'm greeted with a friendly welcome at reception. This night was no different; I was greeted and kindly walked over to the bar. My friends were there waiting for me and had ordered a couple of nibbles and cocktails to start. I would tell you what the cocktail was but this was a specially made one from the bartender; all I said was that I really like whisky. Yep, this girl likes whisky! Along with our cocktails, we were delighted with Spanner crab roll up with cos lettuce and finger limes ($6 each) and Rice cracker taco with citrus cured tuna and crème fraiche ($6 each). 



They were both amazing and delicate but my favourite would have to be the rice cracker taco; I would definitely recommend that and will order that again!

After a couple of cocktails each we moved over to our table where we ordered the following starters to share; Broccoli salad with shipped lemon ricotta, green chilli harissa and smoked almonds ($17), Roast pork belly with charred Mediterranean octopus, sesame cucumbers and mustard leaf ($22), a couple of Goldband Pacific oysters eschallot and citrus vinegar each ($3.80 each), and the Centennial fried chicken with blue cheese and buttermilk dressing ($10). Yes, this was just the starter. 

Next, we moved onto our mains. Yep, we somehow managed to find space in our stomach. Same with the starters, we ordered the following to share; Whole Queensland barramundi with tomato, caper and herb vinaigrette ($68), Gippsland black Angus pasture fed beef fillet with spinach puree, creamed potato (the bomb) and sauce Diane ($36) and Grilled Milly Hill lamb cutlets with crushed Dutch creams, confit tomatoes, roast pepper and olive jus ($38) and had the following sides; Summer vegetables with basil and lemon ($8) and Swiss chard and macaroni gratin ($12).



WOW! I was in serious food coma heaven. The beef was so tender, the lamb was amazing and the fish was so meaty and soft at the same time. The creamed potato that came with the beef was devine - soooo creamy and buttery and I just simply couldn't stop myself from eating it all! 

Next, was obviously dessert….. I'm not sure how we did it but we did. We ordered dessert and managed to get every sweet morsel into us. It was heaven! When our waiter came to take our order, I already knew what I wanted - the butterscotch fudge ice cream! PLUS a serving of the Zokoko chocolate and caramel tart with muscatel and whisky ice cream ($15), the Centennial waffles with (more) butterscotch fudge ice creams ($14) and three selections of local artisan cheese served with apple confit and fruit toast ($22). 



I'm not normally a waffle person but the Centennial waffle is in a league of its own; I would go back and have it again, especially because it comes with a serving of the butterscotch ice cream. This ice cream had chunks of fudge throughout it that when you get a piece of the fudge, it clearly puts a smile on your face. 

We did, of course, have some amazing wine with our meal but I don't remember what we ordered. To be honest, I just left that part to my bestie to order since he knows so much more about wines than I do and has never disappointed. The meal here is absolutely amazing and I look forward to coming back again. 

If you've had the chance to go to Hotel Centennial, let me know what you thought about and what you had? If you have been, you must!

Jo xo

Hotel Centennial
88 Oxford Street
Woollahra NSW 2025

No comments:

Post a Comment