October 30, 2014

Sugar-free Honey & Thyme Biscuits

A slightly different post from my usual but something I just wanted to share. As much as I love to eat and enjoy and find new little places to try, especially for brunch, I also realised that I can bake! Yes it's true, when I have the time, I love to get out all my baking tools and bake something yummy; and boy can I bake!


Firstly, I would have to disclose that I'm really not good at decorating or making my baking items look good so from that I've realised that I will never be on the levels of such chefs as Adriano Zumbo. However, as I've been told by my friends (which has to be true), my baked goods are really tasty and delicious - so like they say, "don't judge a book by it's cover".

At the moment, I have a craving for biscuits and can't seem to get enough of them but clearly, they aren't the most healthiest to be consuming everyday and 5 a day isn't good for the waist or my health. So I decided to make a slightly healthier biscuit option and from that I created the "Sugar-free Honey & Thyme Biscuit" - OK, so I know that honey is sweet, but it's a natural sweetener which I believe is OK to use and you can't omit honey from a honey biscuit.

I was inspired by this usual flavour by Bread & Circus Wholefoods Canteen, located in Alexandria. As part of their breakfast menu, they serve a dish called "rainy day toast" which consists of sourdough toast with a heavy drizzle of melted organic honey-thyme-cinnamon butter. All I can say about this is WOW! A simple and very tasty dish and the thyme is serious business with the honey. Worth a try!


So, something I don't normally do, but below is my version of this amazing dish as a biscuit and I think I'll love it so much that you'll want to keep making it and I bet you'll add more thyme each time!

Sugar-free Honey & Thyme Biscuits - Jo's style!

Ingredients  

  • 100g soft butter (I use Pepe Saya
  • 100g rice malt syrup (I use Pure Harvest Organic Rice Malt Syrup) - sugar alternative
  • 1 1/2 large tablespoon of organic honey
  • 1 free range egg yolk 
  • 1 level teaspoon cinnamon
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 6+ sprigs of fresh thyme

Method

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 175C.
  2. Beat the butter and rice malt syrup in a bowl with a wooden spoon until creamy (I actually use my mixer as it makes life easier).
  3. Next, beat in the honey and the egg yolk.
  4. Add the cinnamon, flour and the leaves of the fresh thyme and mix into a soft dough.
  5. Take a teaspoon of the dough and roll it into a ball.
  6. Then continue with the rest of the dough. You should get about 30 biscuits.
  7. Space out balls on a greased baking tray (or a tray lined with baking paper).
  8. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
  9. Let cook on the tray and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Clean up, wash up and EAT!
NOTE: if the dough feels a little wet (due to the rice malt syrup) add a little more self-raising flour, but I don't believe you'll need to as I've already tested the quantities.


My notes to great baking: I would suggest finding organic (if you can) local fresh ingredients as much as possible as the flavours are much more real and tastier. Like I said above, my baked items don't look stunning but they clearly standout when eaten!

I hope you enjoy this biscuit! Let me know what you're thoughts are and if you added more thyme. I just loved biting into the biscuit and getting a surprise hit of thyme. 

Happy baking!

Jo xo

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeh these were delicious!! Healthy biscuit alternative

    ReplyDelete